About the Rural Clinical Schools
To all new RAHMS members – congratulations on being accepted into the Medicine program and welcome to UNSW!
As students who came through the Rural Student Entry Scheme into Medicine there are a number of resources you can utilise through the Rural Clinical School.
- Medicine textbooks – available to be borrowed for up to two weeks per book, a limit of two books per student applies.
- Stethoscopes and lab coats – also available to be borrowed!
- Skills lab equipment including, sphygmomanometers, otoscopes, ophthalmoscope, and an adult and baby resuscitation mannequin to practice clinical skills.
- A computer lab with printer located in Room 329, 3rd Floor, Samuels Building – please bring your own paper!
- Rooms that can be booked for study groups, tutorials, practicing clinical skills etc. – all of which we highly recommend!
Come up and see Samantha (Sam) McFedries in Room 327 of the RCS for access to any of these resources!
The Rural Clinical School also offers a tutoring program for RSES students who fail a course (not that any of you will!) so please don’t be a stranger or embarrassed to come and have a chat if you are concerned about your academic progress, however it is good to make an appointment – email or phone 9385 3250.
The UNSW Rural Clinical School comprises four major teaching campuses in Albury Wodonga, Wagga Wagga, Port Macquarie, and Coffs Harbour; in addition to the Sydney campus. At least 25% of local (Commonwealth supported) UNSW medical students undertake a minimum of 12 months of their clinical learning in a residential rural environment. The RAHMS Executive includes representatives from each of the rural campuses and the Sydney campus organises a meet and greet for students thinking of going rural – so stay tuned for more details later in the year!
If you have any queries or concerns about University or the Medicine program etc. please do not hesitate to come and see us in the Samuels building, we are always here to help!
For more information – check out our website http://rcs.med.unsw.edu.au/
We look forward to meeting you!
- Justine, Gen, Jess, and Sam